As of Aug 6, 2012, TACTIC is open source
TACTIC is now available to companies under the Eclipse Public License, an OSI (Open Source Initiative) approved open source license, which means you can download the source code and make any modifications to it that you want… all for free!
TACTIC is more than just a file repository system - it provides a new way of working with assets across teams, departments and entire organizations. Combining fluid, web-based asset management with customizable production and workflow management, TACTIC gives companies all the tools they need to keep large-scale productions on track and immense datasets in order.
TACTIC extends the current notion of what an asset management solution can do. Not only does TACTIC manage assets, tracking them through their entire life cycle; it connects assets to higher-level project and workflow information that can be shared across organizations using seamlessly integrated communication tools.
Add to that an open API and a completely configurable web-based interface, and TACTIC becomes the central pipeline through which all assets flow.
TACTIC 3.7 New Features
- The "Fast" Table is a completely rewritten tabular display engine that enables you to quickly display and edit larger tables with hundreds and even thousands of rows.
- "check-ins" are faster and more friendly for users in a wide range of industries who might be familiar with different check-in workflows
- Check-in widget is more intuitive
- Check in multiple files with multiple contexts...in one step
- Check in will detect which local files have changed
- We now a "freeform" check in, in which you can check in files without worrying about specific contexts
- We offer custom check-in validation, custom check-in scripts and custom configuration of check-ins by pipeline process
Updated Work Hour Widget
- TACTIC 3.7 also speeds the process of entering work/task information
- Work hours (straight time) can be entered quickly per task on a weekly basis
- New widgets simplify the process of tying hours to tasks and pipeline processes
- We now have a Quick Hover Menu that allows you to add multiple users to a task, or edit/delete/or change status' on notes
- A Quick Add Item link can now be found in the header
- A Quick Add Column link lets you easily add columns for Notes, Tasks and Check-in tools
- Quick access to the column manager lets you quickly pull in different columns
- Different users interact with TACTIC in different ways, which is why we’ve made our interface even more flexible with a Layout Switcher. The Layout Switcher provides a convenient way to rapidly switch between common views to use common tools.
- Organize the screen the way you like to work with it, for instance by Tile, List, Content, Task Schedule, Check-in, etc.
- Tactic 3.7 installer is faster for setup
- configure system level parameters in the TACTIC interface
- You can also handle simplified installations through the use of UI
- Upgraded Help sections with built-in access to documentation
TACTIC tracks every aspect of every asset in a department, a production or an organization. Even the most complex interdependencies and associations within assets are tracked and recorded. Nothing is ever lost. TACTICs asset management system has years of development behind it and has been proven in the most difficult production environments imaginable.
- Control how files are stored on the server with simple expressions.
- No need to worry about where files are saved or what they are named.
- Use the API to trigger processes as files are checked in.
- TACTIC can adapt to any existing file structure.
Project and Workflow Management
Eliminate inefficiencies in your workflow. Simplify the most complicated production process with TACTIC's fully customizable and flexible workflow tools. With TACTIC's Interactive Pipeline Editor, an entire production pipeline with its workflows, handoffs and deliverables can be crafted and visualized with simple drag and drop interaction, allowing for a complete overview of the production process. At any point in the process a single click can drill deeper into any aspect of the production to retrieve even the smallest details.
- Create dynamic windows into any aspect of the production.
- Build reports based on the required criteria for every different team member.
- Keep team members immediately aware of the status of processes upstream and downstream.
- Bring accountability to all aspects of the business operation.
- Simple events can trigger complex events elsewhere in the workflow.
In any organization, everyone should know only what they need to know to be productive. With TACTIC, any type of communication can be defined, including how information is delivered in the user interface, how and to whom emails are sent and how reports provide up-to-the-moment information on the projects.
- Present your team with what they need to see and how they need to see it.
- Associate communications directly with your assets and their production data.
- Send emails to the right team members based on events in the system.
- Provide live views and reports presenting all team members with information generated from a single central location.
More Than a File Repository
- Track every aspect of every asset from anywhere, at any time
- Manage even the most complex interdependencies between assets
- Maintain the file structure that works best for you
- Access assets stored in any SQL database including Oracle, or multiple applications, with a standard web browser. No data migration necessary.
Simplify Workflow across Productions and Enterprises
- Automate the processes between and within your production departments
- Easily review assigned tasks, and work that has been submitted
- Create and modify your own custom workflow views directly within the TACTIC™ web interface
- Connect to complex infrastructures, including legacy toolsets and diverse production pipelines
Get & Stay Ahead of the Curve
- Jump start your production with a solid foundation to build your pipeline & processes
- Track the project at every stage, at any time, from anywhere
- Pull information from multiple databases and applications into single, easy-to-read reports
- Adapt quickly to the dynamic needs of production and business
Tactic Integrates with Nuke
- Southpaw Technology integrates its asset management solution TACTIC with The Foundry’s NUKE compositing application to speed and secure workflow
With the TACTIC-NUKE integration, compositing artists working in TACTIC can instantly see what their tasks are for a specific shot, access their shot list, launch NUKE, load the most recent version (or older versions) of a shot, check in a file and more. This timesaving union of technologies frees compositors to focus on creating shots, rather than spending time on finding and securing files, or moving files through the production pipeline.
Supported 3d applications
Tactic works with the followin 3d applications
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk Softimage
- Adobe Flash
- PipelineFX Qube!
- The Foundry Nuke
Specifications & Licensing
- Windows 2003/2008
- Mozilla Firefox 2+
- Internet Explorer 7+
- Safari 6+
- Python 2.4/2.5
- XSI 7.0+
- Flash 8+
Upgrades / Support
Southpaw Technologies offers the following support and subscription options
- Software upgrades (at least 2 major feature rich releases per year)
- Access to support via email, Skype or Webex
- Training Video
- Upgrade from Previous versions to Current
RFX is available for all your support needs
Southpaw provides the following support options
- Online Training videos
- Support via email, forum, Skype and Webex
Southpaw Professional Services will develop a specific project plan for your individual needs and help you discover optimal solutions to your production challenges.
Professional Services can extend the features and functionality of your TACTIC software to meet your organization's unique needs. Custom solutions are tailored to every client including exploration of your studio process, custom engineering and onsite training. For more information contact RFX.
Training / Resources
Go to Southpawtech support for training, tutorials, forums, documentation and support.