20% off Autodesk Suite Upgrades!
Save up to 20% on all upgrade paths
Save 15% when you upgrade an older version to 2014
Save 20% when you upgrade to a Creation Suite
Financing available: 2.5% for 24 months and 3.5% for 36 months
Offer expires July 25th, 2013
Curious about Smoke? Download the trial and test it out for yourself.
Autodesk Smoke software is designed for video editors who need to do more than just edit. By integrating a familiar timeline workflow and node-based compositing, Smoke connects editing and effects like never before. Smoke video editing software for Mac has finishing tools for 3D compositing, color correction, and motion graphics.
Conform and editing tools
The flexible user set-up in Smoke allows you to create customized hotkeys and users.
Work with hotkeys you already you know as you create, edit and manage users with specific preferences and shortcuts.
Manage and efficiently organize individual media, timelines, and project set-ups.
Customize projects with unique configuration templates based on resolution and bit-depth.
Intuitive user interface (UI)
Get started quickly with the familiar and intuitive editorial timeline.
With familiar Mac-based conventions, the UI allows you to center your creative work around an easy-to-use, track-based, non-linear editor (NLE) workflow and puts powerful effects tools at your fingertips.
Customizable user interface (UI)
A flexible UI is optimized for fast navigation in media, editing, and import workflows.
Use Smoke as your creative home base to do editing, conform, and finishing with Autodesk’s high-end effects toolset.
Online help and resources
Get started fast and access online help and documentation directly in the software.
Import native media files and organize project media using the MediaHub browser.
The powerful media management tools in Smoke allow you to quickly access, search, and organize your media.
Native file-specific formats
Start working with native media right away without conversion.
Import file formats including Panasonic® P2 HD MXF files, Sony XDCAM® format, Avid DNxHD® media, Apple® ProRes format, RED CODE® RAW and ARRIRAW files; SD and HD SDI video; and 4:4:4 RGB image sequences. Get access to file metadata and save settings for future file imports.
Edit your project in Smoke or conform from an NLE.
Import multi-layer timeline sequences from your favorite NLE like Apple® Final Cut Pro or AVID® Media Composer® video editing software. This familiar track-based workflow allows editors to quickly feel at home and access the powerful effects tools of Smoke.
Standard editorial workflow
Smoke is designed for video editors who use traditional NLE software and need to go beyond track-based workflows and layer-based effects.
Edit from scratch with trimming, transitions, and navigation tools that work the way you expect them to.
Customizable editing hotkeys
Customize your hotkeys in Smoke or use the industry-standard hotkey layout based on Final Cut Pro for a flexible workflow
Effects right in the timeline
Add powerful video or audio SoftFX directly from the timeline as you edit.
Applying advanced effects is logical and intuitive—simply click on a segment or layer to add visual effects, color correction, or tools for 3D motion graphics. In Smoke you have access to video editing and powerful effects in a single software without round-tripping between multiple creative applications.
ConnectFX node-based compositing
Change the way you approach effects when editing with a powerful node-based compositing environment accessible directly from the timeline.
ConnectFX streamlines effects when editing by eliminating the need for using multiple creative applications. In ConnectFX, editors have a full palette of effects tools ranging from simple transformations to advanced compositing and plug-in type effects. Move quickly from the timeline to ConnectFX using any segment, adjustment layer, or group of segments, and Smoke will build a node graph representing effects that have already been started in the timeline.
Advanced visual effects and compositing tools
Smoke offers a proven set of visual effects tools based on Autodesk 3D and effects technology.
Customize your ConnectFX workflow to break tasks into individual nodes to build exactly the effect you need to tell your story.
Fast compositing in Action
Bring your effects to life in Action, an intuitive 3D workspace, to create stunning visual effects.
In Action, editors can combine multi-resolution video layers, each with its own keying, tracking, and image tools. Move through complex composites quickly with an intuitive node-based navigation. Access color correction, lighting, and advanced compositing options for each layer inside a single, highly interactive creative environment.
Advanced 3D visual effects
Go beyond 2D layer-based effects using the Action 3D compositing environment.
Quickly integrate 3D text, titles, logos, and animated motion graphics in true 3D space. Combine multi-resolution video layers with 3D objects and lighting effects to create stunning composites. Dramatically relight scenes by applying multiple lights that can cast shadows, create 3D lens flares and blooming effects.
Version / Release Updates
Service Pack 1 of Autodesk(R) Smoke(R) 2013 software is now available to download.
This service pack is free of charge to all Smoke 2013 customers with a valid license and includes a critical defect fix.
See the Release Notes for details: http://www.autodesk.com/smoke2013sp1_releasenotes
Autodesk strongly recommends installing Service Pack 1 to avoid any potential issues caused by this defect.
Downloading your Service Pack
Download Service Pack 1 from the following web page:
This service pack does NOT require a new license if you already have license codes for your Smoke 2013 software.
Specifications & Licensing
For Autodesk Smoke
- Apple® Mac OS® X version 10.6.6, 10.6.7, 10.7.2 or later, or 10.8.x
- 64-bit Intel® multicore processor
- Refer to the Recommended Hardware wizard for a detailed list of recommended systems and graphics cards
- 4GB of RAM (8GB or more recommended)
- 3 GB free disk space for download and installation
- Minimum 1,440 x 900 display (1,920 x 1,200 or higher recommended)
- U.S. keyboard (Required to properly map hotkeys)
- For playback performance, we recommend installing Smoke with a separate storage volume/partition for the Media Storage location (such as on an external Thunderbolt drive or array).
- Wacom® Intuos Tablet: Intuos2, Intuos3, Intuos4, and Intuos5 USB models are supported.
- AJA® KONA, KONA 3G, or IOxT Thunderbolt device for video I/O. Refer to the Smoke 2013 Release Notes for details on supported AJA drivers
Smoke for Mac can be issued as node-lock or network license.
Upgrades / Support
Autodesk offers the following Upgrades and Support options
Subscription features include
- Hotline support (see below for details)
- Version Upgrades
- Software extensions (not available for sale)
- Unlimited floating licenses of Autodesk® Burn® 2012 software
- Hotline and email support 12 hours a day, 5 days a week
- Access to the Creative Finishing Edge support portal
- Maintenance (Upgrades, Support) for associated Infrastructure or Media Management software
- Waived Platform Transfer fees
For more info on Autodesk Subscription click Here
- Upgrade from previous versions to current
RFX is available for all your support needs.
- Telephone hotline and email support
- Searchable online knowledgebase
- Remote login diagnostics
- Discussion forums and product mailing lists
- Emergency license generation (24h online self-service)
Autodesk Certified Hardware Support & Other 3rd Party Hardware Support
- Technical assistance and advanced parts exchange (APE) service for Autodesk hardware and peripherals such as storage, audio, tablets, graphics cards and monitors.
- On-site technical assistance from Autodesk
- Hotline Support or Subscription plus Autodesk Hardware Support are pre-requisites for purchasing on-site assistance.
System Integration and Installation
- Consider the onsite system configuration by a qualified technician.
- Start production immediately and generate revenue for a faster return on investment.
Telephone services, for customers without support contracts, charges apply per incident.
Enhance your Smoke pipeline with the following products:
Autodesk Flame Premium
Genarts Monsters GT
imagineer systems mocha
Re:Vision FX ReelSmart Motion Blur
Re:Vision FX Twixtor
The Pixel Farm PFTrack
The Pixel Farm PFMatchit
Training / Resources
Want to learn all about Smoke? Check out the Smoke Learning Channel on Youtube!
New brief easy-to-follow Smoke 2013 getting-started tutorials: http://www.autodesk.com/smoke-tutorials
The latest episode of Smoke Signals provides a great introductory Welcome to Smoke overview: http://bit.ly/UtTS3P
Go to Autodesk Subscription site for updates, downloads, and support inquiries
Go to Edge for all Creative Finising Support portal
Go SmokeFlameAcademy for Smoke training