V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino offers visualization professionals a state-of-the-art solution that generates high-quality images of unparalleled realism. The plug-in works with Robert McNeel & Associates’ Rhinoceros, which is one of the most popular Windows-based NURBS modeling tools available today. Rhino users in all fields - from engineering and product design to 3D animation - depend on V-Ray as a quick, easy and cost efficient way to render their most cutting-edge images.
V-RayRT® - a revolutionary rendering engine providing instant feedback and streamlining scene setup. Because V-Ray RT is built upon the same robust core as V-Ray, it is seamless to transition between V-Ray RT and production rendering.
Randomize Sampler improves anti-aliasing of nearly horizontal or vertical lines.
V-Ray Proxy - an indispensable tool for managing scene memory and efficiently rendering massive amounts of geometry. V-Ray Proxy objects are dynamically loaded and unloaded at render-time, saving vital RAM resources.
Displacement - Control displacement on a per-material basis and generate detailed geometry at render time with maximum memory efficiency.
MATERIALS & SHADING
Physically-based Materials - Create materials based on physical properties using VRay's versatile shaders.
Material Preview - Preview materials accurately and efficiently. Once a preview is generated, it is cached for later use.
VRayDirt - simulate shading around corners and crevices of objects based on a radial distance. VRayDirt can be used to produce a variety of effects, including ambient occlusion renderings.
Interpolation (Reflections and Refractions) - accelerate rendering by approximating and caching the effects of glossy reflections and refractions.
Dispersion - trace and refract light based on its wavelength.
Alpha Transparency - Create materials with alpha transparency.
Procedural Textures - Utilize procedurally generated texture maps: Falloff, Granite Dirt, Marble, Rock, Smoke Invert, Leather, Snow, SpeckleSplat, Stucco, Water, Wood
Color Space - Manage the input gamma of textures using Linear, Gamma Corrected, or sRGB options.
LIGHTS & ILLUMINATION
Dome Light - create simple, artifact-free image-based lighting using the Dome Light. Its powerful importance sampling analyzes HDR images and optimizes light tracing and GI precision.
IES Light - use photometric data to provide accurate light definition.
Sphere Light - create spherically shaped area lights.
SUN & SKY
RDK Sun - The VRaySun/ Sky system is compatible with the RDK Sun.
Sky Options - Control sky properties independently from the sun.
Sky Models - Specify sky appearance using Preetham et al, CIE Clear, or CIE Overcast models.
Optimized Global Illumination Solutions - V-Ray provides several optimized solutions for creating Global Illumination, giving artists the complete control and flexibility they need.
Ambient Occlusion - generate shading based on an object’s proximity, and enhance GI details without significantly increasing render time.
Retrace Threshold - reduce Light Cache artifacts and improve the appearance of glossy reflections and refractions when using the time saving feature - Use light cache for glossy rays.
CAMERAS & OPTICS
Physical Camera - Render any standard camera using physical camera properties, including Depth of Field and Motion Blur effects.
Lens Effects (Glare / Bloom) - simulate the natural lens effects that occur when photographing highlights.
DR Spawner - Launch Distributed Rendering hosts without opening Rhino.
Color Mapping - Clamp Level defines the peak level for clamping bright colors.
Adaptation Only uses color-mapping controls for calculations without applying to the final result.
Linear Workflow applies inverse gamma correction to all materials, simplifying setup time for Linear Workflow.
V-Ray Frame Buffer (VFB) - Region Render specifies a portion of the scene to render.
History saves render to the VFB cache, simplifying render comparison.
Compare loads two renders directly in the VFB with A/B comparison controls.
Material ID supports rendering Material ID channels for post processing.
Rhino RDK Support
V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino supports the Rhino Document Sun, Edge Softening, Shutlining, and Displacement.
Version / Release Updates
- VRay RT now support multiple GPUs on a single workstation
- (5) GPU's in one system have been tested.
- VRay RT can now be sent to a renderfarm utilizing either CPUs or GPUs
- (it runs through its own Spawner that comes with V-Ray)
- One challenge though, is that Qube and Deadline aren't set up to control this (yet)
Specifications & Licensing
• Pentium, Celeron, or higher processor.
• 200 MB disk space.
• 512 MB RAM minimum. 2-3 GB or more recommended.
V-Ray for Rhino runs only on:
• Windows 2000 including server
• Windows XP Pro
• Windows XP Home
• Windows Vista*
• Windows 7*
V-Ray for Rhino will not run on:
• Windows NT
• Windows 95
• Windows 98
• Windows ME
• OS X or lower
* V-Ray for Rhino runs as a 32-bit application on Windows x64 and will also run as a 64-bit application with the 64-bit version of Rhino 5.
* Rhino 3 is not supported. V-Ray for Rhino builds are available for Rhino 5, however, the support and functionality for Rhino 5 may vary during the beta process of Rhino 5. Chaos Group will monitor and work quickly to resolve issues that may arise with future builds.
* Virtualization systems such as VMWare and Parallels are not recommended.
* Currently we do not have a version of V-Ray for Rhino on the OS X platform. We have been in contact with Robert McNeel and Associates regarding the options for porting our Windows version of V-Ray for Rhino to Rhino for OS X. However, Rhino for OS X is in the work-in-progress phase and the official Rhino OS X SDK for third party developers is not yet available. We will continue to investigate our options to get V-Ray 1.5 ready for Rhino OS X after the official release of the Windows version of V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino. We will be sure to announce news on V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino OS X as soon as it becomes available.
The VRay for Rhino license server currently only runs on Windows.
Pricing & Upgrade Policy
Chaos Group products are licensed per machine and with one V-Ray for Rhino license you can start and use V-Ray GUI and tools inside the platform, start one local render job, speed up rendering using distributed rendering on up to 10 render slaves.
To provide optimum security, reliability, and portability Chaos Group requires a hardware key to license its software. This hardware security key safely protects the V-Ray License from computer malfunctions, routine hardware maintenance, and equipment changes; and it affords the user the ability to use V-Ray on multiple machines.
It is important to note that the hardware key is not a node-locked device. The V-Ray License Server is a floating license system, allowing multiple users to check out a license up to the maximum concurrent number of licenses available.
V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino customers will have the option to purchase a new hardware key or install the license on an existing one.
Call RFX Sales for pricing.
* The V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino upgrade will be available until June 30, 2012; after this time, only the full version will be available.
Crossgrade to V-Ray 1.5 for Rhino from all supported platforms is possible. Please, contact RFX sales for details.
Note: Prices do not include dongle/VAT/shipping.
Chaos Group Educational Policy is designed to meet the various educational needs of both the institutions and students at a preferable price. An educational institution, or a student/staff member at the institution, may use our Educational licenses for educational purposes only and not for commercial for profit work, transfer, or resale.
Student/Teacher Educational license
A "Student/Teacher" is a person who can confirm enrollment/employment at a degree-granting educational institution. Students and staff must present current student ID or current proof of employment at the educational institution to purchase a license. Students and staff may purchase up to 1 (one) license from the option below:
* Educational clients can receive a free upgrade at any point in time after purchasing a dongle.
Note: Students need to provide evidence of their present academic status.
Universities/Educational Institutions licenses
"Universities/Educational institutions" are defined as those dedicated to education, including a public or private, school or a two-year or four-year college or university or career school that is accredited by a state or other appropriate governmental agency or organization. An educational institution is not a government or nonprofit agency, a commercial customer, a corporate training environment, or other training program or center that serves commercial or professional customers. Universities/Educational institutions must purchase software with documentation issued by the institution. The following Bundle is available to Educational institutions under our Educational Policy (the minimum amount per order is 2 university bundles):
* Educational clients can receive a free upgrade at any point in time after purchasing a dongle.
Upgrades / Support
Chaos Group offers the following upgrades and support options:
- Upgrades from previous versions are available.
RFX is available for all your support needs.
- Chaos Group provides free software support electronically
- Support forums and online documentation are also available
Educational Licenses are available, please Contact RFX for details.
V-ray is compatible with the following applications:
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk Softimage
- Chaos Group PFPlayer
- Chaos Group Phoenix
- Chaos Group V-ray RT
- Google Sketchup
- McNeel Rhino
Training / Resources
Go to the Chaos Group Forum for tips, FAQ's and tutorials