V-Ray for SketchUp - SketchUp is one of the most widely used and easy to learn 3D Modeling software products on the market today. With V-Ray for SketchUp, users now have one of the most powerful rendering tools available to visualize their models with the utmost quality and realism. V-Ray works within the SketchUp environment allowing users to be able to efficiently incorporate the task of rendering within their current workflows. V-Ray for SketchUp works in Windows XP, Vista, and Mac OS. V-Ray for Sketchup supports SU7 or earlier.
• NEW! More shader types (great for metal textures!)
• NEW! More than 10 new procedural textures, including dirt (for more realistic renderings!)
• NEW! Lights now have the ability to add IES profiles (for light accuracy)
• NEW! Material can now be layered better
• NEW! Faster scene processing times
• NEW! Support for SketchUp transparency and alpha transparency
• True reflections and refractions
• Glossy reflections and refractions
• Global Illumination allows for photorealistic lighting
• Soft shadows support
• True HDRI support
• Fully multithreaded raytracing engine
• Native SketchUp materials supported and integrated into V-Ray materials
• Material editor with material preview
• Sun and sky system
• Physical camera
• Depth-of-field camera effects.
• Distributed rendering allowing a single image to be processed over up to ten machines
• Per material GI, background, reflection, and refraction
• V-Ray two-sided material for easy creation of thin translucency
• Animation support
Version / Release Updates
- VRay RT now support multiple GPUs on a single workstation
- (5) GPU's in one system have been tested.
- VRay RT can now be sent to a renderfarm utilizing either CPUs or GPUs
- (it runs through its own Spawner that comes with V-Ray)
- One challenge though, is that Qube and Deadline aren't set up to control this (yet)
Specifications & Licensing
The current version of V-Ray for Sketch Up is 01.49.01.
• Pentium, Celeron, or higher processor. Mac version is Intel only.
• 200 MB disk space.
• 512 MB RAM minimum. 2-3 GB or more recommended.
Supported platforms V-Ray for SketchUp runs only on:
• Windows 2000 including server
• Windows XP Pro
• Windows XP Home
• Windows Vista*
• Windows 7*
• OS 10.4.11 or higher*
V-Ray for SketchUp will NOT run on:
• SketchUp 5 or lower*
• Windows NT
• Windows 95
• Windows 98
• Windows ME
• OS 9 or lower
V-Ray for SketchUp does run as a 32-bit application on 64bit machines and OS's.
Virtualization systems such as VMWare and Parallels are not recommended.
The use of imaged machines is not recommended due to the fact that the licensing is hardware dependent.
SketchUp 6 on OS X is not supported.
To get a free 30 days demo version comtact RFX Sales.
Upgrades / Support
Chaos Group offers the following upgrades and support options:
- Upgrades from previous versions are available.
RFX is available for all your support needs.
- Chaos Group provides free software support electronically
- Support forums and online documentation are also available
Educational Licenses are available, please Contact RFX for details.
V-ray is compatible with the following applications:
- Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk Maya
- Autodesk Softimage
- Chaos Group PFPlayer
- Chaos Group Phoenix
- Chaos Group V-ray RT
- Google Sketchup
- McNeel Rhino
Training / Resources
Go to the Chaos Group Forum for tips, FAQ's and tutorials