By: Tweak Software
RV-SDI matches the flexibility of RV's dailies sessions with full quality SDI output. RV-SDI supports dual stream output for stereo playback, embeds audio in the SDI signal, and takes advantage of RV's flexible tools for review, editing, collaboration, annotation, and comparison of media.
RV-SDI Key Features:
- Stereo playback over Dual Link SDI: using Nvidia SDI hardware
- High Resolution, high bit depth
- 24 bit embedded audio
- Playback: 2K, HDR, Floating Point, Playback from RAM or Disk
- Review: Organize and annotate media dailies review
- Collaboration: Connect to other artists, clients or vendors for remote review
- Editing: Edit sequences with lightweight intuitive tools
- Comparison: Layout shots or cuts in tiled views, A/B compares with wipes
- Integration: Script, customize, automate RV to fit into your pipeline or workflow
RV Presentation Mode
RV-SDI introduces Presentation Mode. This mode allows users to control RV normally on one monitor while sending video out to another device. The controller view displays the RV GUI and the SDI presentation device sends final output through the SDI channel for display on a projector or monitor (with options to view the timeline and other tools on the SDI view).
RV Sessions for Dailies
RV's rich session file is a powerful tool for organizing dailies. The session manager makes it easy to combine, compare, edit and annotate media. You can create sessions in advance of dailies with all of the versions, sequences, A/B split screens, layouts or other items to review.
During dailies you can work through your playlist, see shots in context or alone, annotate, edit the timeline, switch versions, and easily create new views on the fly.
Some things you can do with RV sessions include:
- Layout sources in a 'contact sheet'
- Compare two or more EDLs (A/B, layout)
- Create an edited sequence with alternate takes to swap in/out
- Realtime media (pull up/down, change fps, offset)
- Make and edit sequences, re-order, trim
- Annotate on top of any view
- Export WYSYWIG to a snapshot or a movie
The RV session is fully recursive. This means you can recombine anything you make in RV in new ways. For example, You could make a layout of sequences, or a sequence of layouts. Or you could make Folders of alternate takes and then make a sequence of folders.
RV is highly customizable and can be knit very tightly into custom dailies workflows. RV session files are ascii files in an open source format (GTO). Many shops integrate editorial and production databases with RV by writing Python scripts to create custom RV sessions for dailies.
Mix resolutions, frame rates, and color spaces automatically
- RV is resolution independent, which means you can mix sources of different resolutions and RV automatically fits them to the display window. No manual resizing is required to cut together mixed resolution sources (say SD reference video with Full App EXR renders and 1/2 res animation takes)
- Realtime pull-down/pull-up to handle any frame rates. RV automatically retimes media to play it back at the output fps (even for fixed rate SDI playback) so you never have to pre-convert media before viewing it in RV. This means you can cut together media of different frame rates into the same timeline, layout, or A/B compare.
- Advanced Color Management - RV converts media into a common color space so sources with completely different color spaces can be edited together and compared and can use the same display LUTs or other color settings. For example you can cut together Kodak Log DPX frames with sRGB Quicktime video and Linear Exr files and preserve the correct colors.
RV-SDI integrates into the following versions of RV
- 64-bit Windows
- 64-bit Linux
Version / Release Updates
Tweak has released RV 3.12.20
This is a maintenance release with some cool new features and lots of fixes and performance enhancements. You can get the new version of RV on Tweak's support page and you can read the full release notes for details.
This release is FREE for users with current maintenance. If you need to renew your maintenance please call RFX at 323-962-7400.
What's New in RV 3.12.20
- Expanded EXR multi-layer support: e.g. now can see a single layer in stereo
- Performance enhancements in caching
- X264 H.264 encoding - improved parameter support
- RV-SDI: support for more output formats and fix for full range vs. SMPTE output
What's New in RV 3.12.19
- Monitor Refresh Rate Auto Discovery - Simplifies RV performance tuning and fixes playback issues in some cases.
- LUT Sharing - Reuse of File LUT or Look LUT data between sources to speed up load times.
- Blank Source Creation - Sequence with blank "gaps" can now be stacked over another sequence or movie. This allows VFX shots to be layered over a master sequence with non-VFX shots.
- Speedup loading sources with audio
- Stereo 3D Audio Averaged - Both eyes can have the same audio.
- OpenJPEG 1.5.1 - Better support for JPEG2000.
- New Stereo Offset Hotkeys Added for Per-Source Offset
Also: Shotgun has released "Screening Room" review tools (formerly "Revolver") for RV as a free app for Shotgun users:
Specifications & Licensing
- Nvidia SDI output card
- Nvidia Quadro 3800, 4800, 5800 or 4000, 5000, 6000 graphics card
- Linux or Windows 64 bit OS
- Note, Win 64 RV SDI does not support Quicktime playback yet.
Tweak RV licenses are delivered electronically via email.
Node-lock and Network floating licenses are cross-platform and can be combined into one key if needed.
Your primary Ethernet ID MAC address is used to lock the license and must be provided before licenses can be delivered.
Network floating licenses
Network floating licenses require Tweak Software's TLM Server to be installed, configured and running in order to distribute licenses to network clients.
TLM Server can run on either Windows, OSX and Linux and distributes licenses to either platforms simultaneously.
Although Tweak tests and releases builds of tlm_server for all three platforms, the Linux and OS X versions are more mature and most fully tested. If possible we recommend using a Linux or OS X box as a license server, even when serving licenses to Windows clients.
Upgrades / Support
Tweak Software offers the following Maintenance plan
- Licenses include one year of Maintenance from the date of purchase
- Email and Web access to Helpdesk
- Software upgrades
- Yearly renewals available
RFX is available for all your support needs.
Integrate Tweak RV-SDI into the following software titles.
- The Foundry Nuke
- Shotgun Software
Training / Resources
Go to Tweak Software for Documentation, Knowledge base and forums.