Pdplayer is an advanced sequence player capable of playing movie clips and image sequences for the purposes of quality control. Its approach on handling information allows it to play multiple sequences and apply corrections in real time. Even though Pdplayer is a reviewing tool its wide range of capabilities allows it to be used for basic compositing and editing.
As a contemporary sequence player Pdplayer supports all the industry standard file formats including HDR, EXR, CIN, DPX, SGI, TGA, VRIMG, PIC and more. You can also use Pdplayer to view the different channels of EXR and VRIMG files. However it’s most important feature is its layered sequence playback which means that Pdplayer caches each sequence or movie clip on an independent layer. This way of handling information allows for multiple layers to be played simultaneously while applying changes in real time. You can fully control the way layers are composed together and how they are set in the time line. You can also scale each layer independently and change the aspect ratio independently or globally for all layers. Pdplayer allows you to move layers in an infinite work space.
Pdplayer allows for basic color corrections to be made in real time . These include gamma, contrast, hue and saturation as well as the exposure and soft – clip for high dynamic range images. All these options are explained in Section IV.5. Pdplayer also supports several color blending modes which can be applied in real time. With Pdplayer’s extended alpha support you can assign any channel from a given layer as an alpha channel for another layer. Further more Pdplayer supports the depth channel of EXR, RLA, RPF file formats. The different blending and alpha modes are explained in Section IV.5.c.
Pdplayer offers several specific layer types to speed up your work. (Section VI.1). The Brush Layer and Brush Sequence Layer allow you to put notes on your compositions. You can use the Adjustment Layer to make color corrections to several layers simultaneously. Finally the Embedded Image Layer allows you to paste the contents of the clipboard directly in your composition.
With Pdplayer you can save you work in several different ways. You can export the whole composition or just a single layer as a sequence of images or as an AVI/Quicktime movie. You can save the composition into Pdplayer’s specific file format (Section III.3). or export your composition to either Adobe After Effects JSX script, The Foundry Nuke script or Pdplayer Command File (Section III.4).
Pdplayer’s extensive command support (Section VIII.1) allows it to be integrated into any production pipeline. You can also assign single commands as well as series of commands or macros to a short key combination thus speeding up the work process. Another important feature of Pdplayer is that it can play sequences on external devices allowing you to preview your work on a broadcast monitor (Section IV.2). Finally you can use Pdplayer’s built-in http server (Section VII) to easily show your partners or clients the result of your work.
- • Multiple ways to open a sequence: double click, Open With » Pdplayer, drag and drop, copy and paste, File » Add Layer, File » Add Recent
- • Industry standard file format support including EXR, HDR, DPX, CIN, TGA, SGI, IFF, PIC, VRIMG and more
- • RED R3D support
- • Variable framerate playback
- • Horizontal and vertical flip
- • Depth channel
- • Viewing a single channel
- • Global zoom, pan and pixel aspect
- • Mask and safe area
- • Timecode/frame indicator modes
- • Locating a frame in Windows Explorer
- • Option to detect matching footage and automatically build a stereoscopic composition
- • Anaglyph, interlaced and checkerboard output
- • Support for stereoscopic EXR (SXR) files
Image Layers and Channels
- • Support for EXR and VRIMG image layers
- • Per-layer image channel support including alpha, luma and depth
- • Support for 1D and 3D lookup tables (LUT)
- • Exposure and soft clip controls for high dynamic range images
- • Color controls including lift, gamma, gain, brightness, contrast, hue and saturation
- • Adjustment Layer
- • Toggle upper layer (V)
- • Difference blend
- • Side by side (Ctrl+Shift+Left, Right)
- • Layer crop rectangle (can approximate A/B split)
- • Layered sequence playback
- • Infinite workspace
- • Global and per-layer aspect ratio
- • Layer flip, scale, position and crop
- • Layer blending modes including normal, add, multiply, screen and difference
- • Alpha channel source
- • Layer opacity, including fade in and fade out
- • Layer-based cache
- • Realtime interactions
- • Full, half and quarter cache resolution
- • Preloading layers
- • Clear cache, Remove layer from cache
- • Direct disk playback (Layer » Disable Caching)
- • 64 bit (x64) version, not limited to 2 GB or 4 GB
Copy and Paste
- • Copy/paste layer, frame, copy from/to explorer
- • Clipboard Layer
- • Copy/paste color corrections
- • Copy layer to clipboard as Nuke script
Saving and Exporting
- • Ability to save a composition
- • Ability to save a frame, screen, mask
- • Export composition or single layer as sequence or AVI/Quicktime movie
Annotation and Collaboration
- • Brush Layer
- • Brush Sequence Layer
- • Text Layer
- • E-mail frame/screen
- • Built-in HTTP server for remote collaboration
- • Framebuffer Layer
- • Extensive command line support
- • Export composition as After Effects .jsx, Nuke .nk, Pdplayer .pdpcmd
- • Copy layer to clipboard as Nuke script
- • Bluefish444
- • Blackmagic Decklink
- • NewTek VT
- • Firewire/IEEE1394
- • Secondary/tertiary display
On-Set Grading and Monitoring
- • Live video layer from any DirectShow video input
- • Primary and secondary color key
Chaos Group Pdplayer v188.8.131.52 - New support for Quicktime, RED footage, NUKE integration, and new file type support for DNG and DPX files.
Videos & Images
Specifications & Licensing
- Windows XP SP2
- Vista 32 or 64 Bit
There are no requirements on the video card. There are no fixed CPU and RAM requirements; these depend on the specific tasks. For simple PAL or NTSC playback, a 1.5 GHz CPU and 512 Mb or 1 GB RAM may suffice. Working in larger resolutions and with more layers increases the CPU requirements. Increasing the amount of RAM allows one to fit more frames into memory. Increasing the hard disk speed allows one to load sequences faster, or, with a sufficiently fast RAID array, even play back directly from disk (use Layer » Disable Caching for that.)
Because Pdplayer is CPU based playback performance is not compromised on notebooks with lower video RAM.
Limitations common to 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions
- Pdplayer cannot create AVI files larger than 2 GB. The classic AVI format files cannot be larger than 2 GB in size. Pdplayer cannot yet create OpenDML format AVI files that do not have this limitation.
Limitations of 32 Bit versions
- Pdplayer (as a 32 bit application) cannot access more than 2 GB of memory on a 32 bit version of Windows, and more than 4 GB on a 64 bit version of Windows. In some situations (a machine with 4 GB running a 32 bit version of Windows) this can lead the free memory indicator to report more than 50%, whereas in fact this memory is not available for use by Pdplayer.
Limitations of 64 Bit versions
A 64 bit application is not allowed to load or inter-operate with 32 bit DLLs. As a consequence,
- Pdplayer cannot load or create Quicktime movies because Apple has not yet provided a 64 bit version of Quicktime for Windows.
- Most AVI codecs do not have a 64 bit version, which makes the support for AVI files extremely limited. Uncompressed AVI files do work, though, subject to the 2 GB limitation above.
- RTV files do not work, even if rtvlib2.dll is installed.
- The e-mail features only work if the default mail client is 64 bit. Note that Outlook Express is 64 bit under Windows XP64, but Outlook is not, and does not work when invoked from a 64 bit application.
Pdplayer uses the WIBU licensing system for it's floating licenses which are tied to a hardware dongle. The dongle contains information about the number of available licenses. You can attach more than one dongle to the same machine to increase the number of available licenses. Before using the dongle, you must install a driver for accessing it. A single dongle may have multiple versions of Pdplayer, and you can run more than one Pdplayer server on your network.
In order for the licensing to work, the computer must have TCP/IP installed properly. Please note, however, that currently IPv6 is not supported and must be completely removed.
Upgrades / Support
Chaos Group offers the following upgrades and support options:
- Upgrades from previous versions.
RFX is available for all your support needs
- Chaos Group provides free software support electronically
- Support forums and online documentation are also available
Pdplayer supports all the industry standard file formats including:
Contact RFX for details
Training / Resources
Go to the Chaos Group Forum for tips, FAQ's and tutorials